[SciPy-dev] Compilation problems (and solutions...) on HP-UX B.11.00

Nicolas Pernetty nicopernetty at yahoo.fr
Fri May 6 12:10:43 CDT 2005

On Fri, 06 May 2005 09:26:52 -0700, Stephen Walton
<stephen.walton at csun.edu> wrote :

> >I've just almost managed to get scipy 0.3.2 compiled, up and running
> >on HP-UX B.11.00...
> >

> Congratulations!  As a long-ago HP-UX user I know how hard it can be
> to  get some freeware working on it.  Do you know of the archive at
> http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/?

'hard' ? 'pain-in-the-*beeeep*' would be more appropriate... ;-)
Anyway I think that the main problem is the lack of feedback and
beta-testers from HP-UX users compared to say Linux users.

> >1) There should be some way to choose the fortran 77 compilers
> >instead of manually editing the .py files
> >

> I believe that the INSTALL.txt file which comes with scipy is out of
> date compared with the scipy.org online documentation.  See
> http://www.scipy.org/documentation/buildscipy.txt.  You should be able
>
> to simply say
>
> python setup.py build --fcompiler=hpux
>
> (although the comment at the top says --compiler=hpux).

My mistake. I haven't seen this page. Thanks !

> >4) I had a "Bus Error (core dumped)" when calling the gamma.c
> >function in  ./Lib/special/cephes/gamma.c during the test
> >scipy.test(level=1) It seems that the global variable P and Q are
> >incorrectly defined, so I decided to use decimal configuration and
> >add at the top of the file : #undef MIEEE
> >#define UNK
> >

> This looks like a big-endian vs. little-endian hardware issue to me.

Yes. Don't know what is going wrong here.
I also managed to get it working on Solaris 5.8 and I had _exactly_ the
same problem before deciding to use g77 everywhere instead of mixing
(forte ?) f77 and g77.
But on HP-UX I used g77 everywhere...

I will test at work on monday, but could you just try to compile gamma.c
with MIEEE enable and see if you can display P and Q properly ?

> >6) Can you add to the INSTALL.txt file that in order to get scipy
> >find the fftw and ATLAS libraries you have to use an environment var
> >locating both the libraries AND the headers ?
> >
> Hmm...locally I've built scipy with the libraries and includes in
> either  /usr/lib/atlas and /usr/include atlas or /usr/local/lib/atlas
> and  /usr/local/include/atlas. scipy seems to find them when they're
> in  either place without me having to do anything special.

My mistake, it was just for the example, my ATLAS libraries aren't under
/usr/local but instead in another exotic place. At the bottom of
http://www.scipy.org/documentation/buildscipy.txt
it seems that I'm not the only one to have that problem...