[SciPy-dev] Building newcore with the intel compilers on Itanium2...

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Nov 3 00:05:25 CST 2005

Robert Kern wrote:
> Fernando Perez wrote:
>
>>So the question really is: how do we get scipy.distutils to use icc as the
>>LINKER and not to use gcc at all?  Thanks for any pointers...
>

> How was the interpreter built? What linker do other extensions get
> linked with when using plain-old-distutils?

You mean this?

 >>Fernando Perez wrote:

 >>>Or is it in fact correct to link using gcc (since that's what python itself
 >>>was built with)

The version of python we're using (2.3) was built with gcc, so
plain-old-distutils will link with gcc as well.  However, as we've been able
to establish, if you compile the extension modules using icc, you must ALSO
link them with icc, not with gcc.

Basically we need a mechanism to fully override the C compiler/linker choices
much like there is one to specify the fortran compiler.  I got pretty lost in
the maze that distutils/scipy.distutils is, but I'll be happy to give it
another go if someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers,