[SciPy-dev] Building newcore with the intel compilers on Itanium2...

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Wed Nov 2 23:07:31 CST 2005

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Fernando Perez wrote:

> Fernando Perez wrote:
>
>> Or is it in fact correct to link using gcc (since that's what python itself
>> was built with) and should we just try to get gcc to pick up the intel
>> libraries in the final link step?  I'll try to get that to work as well, in
>> teh meantime...
>
> OK, just to provide more info:  I've confirmed that linking with gcc, even if
> you explicitly ask for the library that contains that symbol, doesn't work.
>  However, if I manually rerun the link steps as:
>
> icc -pthread -shared
> build/temp.linux-ia64-2.3/scipy/base/src/multiarraymodule.o -o
> build/lib.linux-ia64-2.3/scipy/base/multiarray.so
>
> and then run the 'python setup.py install' step with this rebuilt
> multiarray.so object, the problem goes away.
>
> So the question really is: how do we get scipy.distutils to use icc as the
> LINKER and not to use gcc at all?  Thanks for any pointers...

This is not really a scipy.distutils issue. A simple answer to your
question would be building python with icc.
Standard distutils has limited support switching C compilers, see
`setup.py build_ext --help`. It is also possible to implement support for
your own c compiler in scipy.distutils but first I would suggest following
the simple answer.

Pearu