[SciPy-dev] libblas.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Mon Nov 7 03:29:07 CST 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Nils Wagner wrote:

> I still try to build newscipy without ATLAS...
>
> svn/newscipy> /usr/local/bin/python setup.py build
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "setup.py", line 42, in ?
>    setup_package()
>  File "setup.py", line 7, in setup_package
>    from scipy.distutils.core import setup
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/__init__.py", line
> 32, in ?
>    from scipy.basic.fft import fft, ifft
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/basic/fft.py", line
> 22, in ?
>    from fft_lite import *
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/basic/fft_lite.py",
> line 23, in ?
>    import scipy.lib.fftpack_lite as fftpack
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/lib/__init__.py",
> line 9, in ?
>    import blas
>  File
> "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/lib/blas/__init__.py",
> line 9, in ?
>    import fblas
> ImportError: libblas.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or directory
>
> How can I build libblas.so from libblas.a ?

You don't need libblas.so. You obviously have failed to follow
instructions from

   http://www.scipy.org/documentation/buildatlas4scipy.txt

about building blas and lapack libraries and setting proper environment
variables so that scipy build scripts can find them.

Remove everything that you have build or installed and try again.

Pearu