[SciPy-dev] Freeze Thursday at 5:00pm until further notice

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Thu Nov 10 12:45:29 CST 2005

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Jonathan Taylor wrote:

> If we go to trac, it would probabally be useful to have scipy and
> scipy_core in the same repository.  If so, then 5:00 might be the best
> time to put both in the same repository.  We would also get the benefit
> of being able to svn mv ad svn cp files from scipy_core to scipy and
> vice versa.  Maybe I am not understanding a good reason for their
> seperation though?

The separation is due the fact that newcore is a replacement for Numeric
and not all people need full scipy.

Ideally, when checking out scipy, one should get also scipy_core:
And when checking out scipy_core, one should get only scipy_core.
This was easy to handle with CVS but as I have understood not so with SVN.

In addtion, one needs to have scipy_core installed before building
scipy. I think this is the main reason for keeping scipy_core and
scipy separate.

On the other hand, we could move the contents of scipy/Lib/ directory
to scipy_core/scipy and have separate setup.py files for scipy and
scipy_core. But that would mean that only-scipy_core interested people
would get full scipy sources from SVN (unless there are some SVN tricks
to prevent that).

Pearu