[SciPy-dev] Some Feedback

Mark Koudritsky kamrik at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 09:54:15 CST 2005

We don't have to see Trac+Moin as 2 separate systems, which, kind of,
double each other. I would prefer to see it like this:
Trac is a project management system with bug tracking system etc. But
the built in wiki engine is not as mature and feature rich as Moin. So
we can use Trac and use the Moin instead of Trac's native wiki engine
(as a single composite system)

The Ubuntu Linux project does something similar, they use Plone + Moin
+  Malone[1]
[1] Malone: https://launchpad.net/malone  is an interesting bug
tracking *service*

A couple of words in favour of Moin:
1) It has a feature of "subscribing to pages". Whenever a page you
subscribed to is changed, you get an email (which also contains the
added text). It's almost like there is a mailing list attached to
every page in the wiki. This can greatly accelerate things.

2) There is a simple patch for Moin which adds a LaTeX-like math
markup which is displayed as MathML.
Here is an example of a page with math on a student wiki I maintain
for our institute (requires Firefox or MS Explorer+MathPlayer plugin
for MathML rendering)
http://www.weizmann.ac.il/student-wiki/Physics/Courses/IntroductoryAlgebra/GroupRepresentations
(MathML has the drawback of poor support by some browsers, but it
seems to improve with time.)