[SciPy-dev] newcore atlas info on Gentoo

Darren Dale dd55 at cornell.edu
Sun Nov 20 08:49:06 CST 2005

On Friday 11 November 2005 4:08 pm, Darren Dale wrote:
> On Friday 11 November 2005 03:16 pm, Stephen Walton wrote:
> > Darren Dale wrote:
> > >Well, in my case, editing site.cfg alone does not work, because my
> > > fortran blas libraries are named "blas" instead of "f77blas".
> > > system_info.py has "f77blas" hardcoded in several places...
> >
> > Only in the parts related to ATLAS, because the ATLAS-generated BLAS
> > libraries are named this.
>
> The gentoo-science group has set up the math library ebuilds to create
> symlinks in /usr/lib, which can be changed to point to different external
> libraries (the blas libraries created by the blas-atlas ebuild are located
> at /usr/lib/blas/atlas/libblas.*). The thinking is that one could easily
> switch from using ATLAS to ACML, for example. site.cfg offers an
> opportunity to override the names of the ATLAS libraries, but I maybe this
> is misleading:
>
> # For overriding the names of the atlas libraries:
> atlas_libs = lapack, blas, cblas, atlas

Just to follow up on this, here is my site.cfg:
____________________________________
[DEFAULT]
library_dirs = /usr/lib
include_dirs = /usr/include:/usr/include/atlas

[atlas]
atlas_libs = lapack, blas, cblas, atlas

[fftw]
fftw_libs = dfftw, drfftw, sfftw, srfftw
fftw_opt_libs = dfftw_threads, drfftw_threads, sfftw_threads, srfftw_threads
____________________________________

I get the following messages when I build scipy (not scipy_core) on gentoo:

    Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    scipy_distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting
    the ATLAS environment variable.
  warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__)

And when I test scipy, I get warnings like

WARNING: clapack module is empty
See scipy/INSTALL.txt for troubleshooting.
Notes:
* If atlas library is not found by scipy/system_info.py,
  then scipy uses flapack instead of clapack.

Now, if I edit system_info.py and replace every 'f77blas' with 'blas', this
problem goes away.

Darren