[SciPy-dev] Memory mapped files in scipy core

Paul Barrett pebarrett at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 13:59:21 CST 2005

On 11/20/05, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> wrote:

> On a related, but orthogonal note:
>
> My understanding is that using memory-mapped files for *very* large
> files will require modification to the mmap module in Python ---
> something I think we should push. One part of that process would be to
> add the C-struct array interface to the mmap module and the buffer
> object -- perhaps this is how we get the array interface into Python
> quickly. Then, if we could make a base-type mmap that did not use the
> buffer interface or the sequence interface (similar to the bigndarray in
> scipy_core) and therefore by-passed the problems with Python in those
> areas, then the current mmap object could inherit from the base class
> and provide current functionality while still exposing the array
> interface for access to >2GB files on 64-bit systems.

Is it really necessary to embed the C-struct array interface in mmap? I
thought that Python array interface was the standard mechanism for
interfacing with array objects. Or do I misunderstand you.

-- Paul

Paul Barrett, PhD Johns Hopkins University
Assoc. Research Scientist Dept of Physics and Astronomy
Phone: 410-516-5190 Baltimore, MD 21218