[SciPy-dev] sparse matrix support status

Ed Schofield schofield at ftw.at
Tue Nov 22 17:09:09 CST 2005

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks very much for the benchmarks and detailed comments.  Your
conclusions also ring true for me, especially that matrix
construction is currently slow and that we need better documentation.

I have only one question for now.  Could you please explain the comment

 > dok_matrix.setdiag() appears to change the matrix shape if you're not
 > careful, rendering it pretty useless for building the matrices for
this
 > problem

in more detail?  The code for setdiag() is:

     def setdiag(self, values, k=0):
         N = len(values)
         for n in range(N):
             self[n, n+k] = values[n]
         return

which grows the matrix only if it's currently smaller than len
(values) x len(values).  What's the problem this behaviour caused?
Would you prefer to fix the size of a dok_matrix in advance and have
a run-time check on the len(values)?  Or was the problem with the
second argument?

-- Ed