[SciPy-dev] Re: [Numpy-discussion] Release of SciPy Core 0.4 (Beta)

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sun Oct 2 19:24:00 CDT 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Gerard Vermeulen wrote:

>> (2) when building scipy_core from SVN the header files do not get
>> installed.
>>    The install section from my RPM SPEC file reads:
>>
> Now, I'm not sure what is meant here.  They install evry time for me,
> but currently not to the main Python include directory.
>
> I'm not sure I like having the headers not installed to the Python
> include directory.   It will be harder for people to use scipy_core as a
> replacement to Numeric if they have to re-write their setup.py scripts
> to find the headers.   The Python include directory is included by default.
> Is it as easy for people to just use the setup from scipy.disutils?

Some people *can't* install to the Python include directory. It was
never a reliable place to put package header files.

No one should have to totally rewrite their setup.py scripts, just add
two lines:

  from scipy.distutils.misc_util import get_scipy_include_dirs

  myext = Extension('myext', ...
                    include_dirs=get_scipy_include_dirs())

--
Robert Kern