[SciPy-dev] Proposal: scipy.sandbox

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Oct 4 04:20:07 CDT 2005

I would like to propose adding a sandbox subpackage to scipy. Underneath
 scipy.sandbox would be other subsubpackages that are undergoing active
development and whose APIs will possibly be changing rapidly or be
broken at times. For actual scipy releases, the build of the sandbox
would be turned off although the full source code should probably be
included in the source distribution. The setup.py scripts should be
written (hopefully) modular enough such that enabling individual
subsubpackages is a matter of uncommenting a few lines.

The sandbox will give us a place to put experimental code so we can
share amongst ourselves and collaboratively improve new modules without
committing to their placement in the scipy package hierarchy. In this
new namespace, we can more easily develop potential replacements for
current functions (e.g. the f2py-ification of certain older
FORTRAN-based modules).

Given such a sandbox, I would also propose moving to the sandbox certain
scipy modules that I think have succumbed to bitrot over the years,
namely cow/ and ga/. Also, a few functions here and there are in a
similar state (e.g. scipy.stats.anova). Oh, and xxx/; it's not faulty,
but it exists for documentation not execution.

So, what do you think?

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu