[SciPy-dev] Proposal: scipy.sandbox

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Tue Oct 4 11:50:00 CDT 2005

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Fernando Perez wrote:

> Robert Kern wrote:
>> I would like to propose adding a sandbox subpackage to scipy. Underneath
>>  scipy.sandbox would be other subsubpackages that are undergoing active
>> development and whose APIs will possibly be changing rapidly or be
>> broken at times. For actual scipy releases, the build of the sandbox
>> would be turned off although the full source code should probably be
>> included in the source distribution. The setup.py scripts should be
>> written (hopefully) modular enough such that enabling individual
>> subsubpackages is a matter of uncommenting a few lines.
>
> [...]
>
>> So, what do you think?
>
> +1

me too. In addition to cow and ga, also gui_thread, gplt, plt, xplt(?)
should be moved under sandbox.

> Note that xxx could probably use a bit of updating to reflect the current
> state of scipy.  But even as it is, it's a useful starter for new package
> authors, and sandbox is probably the right place for it.

I would rename xxx to example or expackage or smth like that.
And it really needs updated to current scipy.distutils. I would not
recommend it for starter, instead, one should look at newcore setup.py
files when creating a new package.

Pearu