[SciPy-dev] Proposal: scipy.sandbox

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Oct 4 13:34:18 CDT 2005

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Fernando Perez wrote:

>>Note that xxx could probably use a bit of updating to reflect the current
>>state of scipy.  But even as it is, it's a useful starter for new package
>>authors, and sandbox is probably the right place for it.
>

> I would rename xxx to example or expackage or smth like that.
> And it really needs updated to current scipy.distutils. I would not
> recommend it for starter, instead, one should look at newcore setup.py
> files when creating a new package.

+1 on the renaming.  My point was that the basic idea of a subdirectory that
new users can copy wholesale to get started when writing a new package is a
good one.  It lowers the barrier for new contributors, as they can just copy
that and start renaming and deleting what they don't need, and be up and
running quickly.  It is harder (for a newcomer) to try to extract from the
full tree the relevant bits, since they won't know what's critical and what
isn't.  That's why I see value in a standalone minimal example package,
perhaps I wasn't clear enough originally.

I suspected it was out of date, esp. with respect to the advances in
scipy.distutils, but I think with a bit of cleanup/updating it can be a useful
piece, especially as we try to make the whole of scipy more friendly towards
modularization efforts.

Cheers,