[SciPy-dev] Build of newcore on macosX and with mingw32

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Oct 4 17:47:48 CDT 2005

Jörgen Stenarson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build newcore on macosx using python 2.4 from darwinports.
>
> I have checked out: http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy_core/branches/newcore
>
> but after a while the build fails while compiling the umath module.
>
> The first line after issuing the build command says:
> Not loaded: Are you running from the source directory?
> is this expected?

As Pearu noted, yes this is expected. I would like to take this
opportunity, though, to request that we reduce the number of such
warnings. I believe they tend to make newbies nervous more than they
inform. Another example would be the warnings about not finding unit
test files for tons of modules when running scipy.test().

> gcc options: '-fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp
> -mno-fused-madd -fno-common -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall
> -Wstrict-prototypes'
> compile options: '-Iscipy/base/src
> -I/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4
> -I/opt/local/include/python2.4 -c'
> gcc: _configtest.c
> _configtest.c:3: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
> _configtest.c: In function 'main':
> _configtest.c:4: error: 'isnan' undeclared (first use in this function)
> _configtest.c:4: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> _configtest.c:4: error: for each function it appears in.)
> _configtest.c:3: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
> _configtest.c: In function 'main':
> _configtest.c:4: error: 'isnan' undeclared (first use in this function)
> _configtest.c:4: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> _configtest.c:4: error: for each function it appears in.)
> failure.
> removing: _configtest.c _configtest.o

That shouldn't happen. isnan() is macro in math.h on Tiger. If you're
picking up the right math.h (/usr/include/math.h, which includes
/usr/include/architecture/ppc/math.h for the actual implementation), you
shouldn't be running into this problem. What compiler are you using?

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter