[SciPy-dev] newscipy sandbox

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 5 07:02:31 CDT 2005

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Robert Kern wrote:
>
>>> I just installed it and the import works,
>>> but `scipy` does not seem to contain `exmplpackage_foo_bar`:
>>
>> It shouldn't. scipy.sandbox.exmplpackage is the name of the package. It
>> doesn't get loaded into the scipy.* namespace, nor should it. It
>> shouldn't be built by default, either, but that's another issue.
>
> Indeed, though, it should be safe to build exmplpackage for testing
> purposes.

True. However, I would like it to be the rule that all of the sandbox
subpackages are always commented out in the setup.py. These packages are
likely to have fragile builds, and I don't want users (even SVN users)
to have their builds break for no good reason. Since exmplpackage is not
only an example scipy package but an example sandbox package, I'm
leaning towards wanting it too commented out in the checked-in version
of the sandbox setup.py.

> Hmm, or did you meant that packages under sandbox
> should be installed under scipy tree, not under scipy.sandbox tree?

No, your first interpretation was correct. These packages should
definitely live under scipy.sandbox until they're officially moved out.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter