[SciPy-dev] newscipy sandbox

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Wed Oct 5 08:11:02 CDT 2005

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Robert Kern wrote:

> Arnd Baecker wrote:
> > Hi Pearu,
> >
> > On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Pearu Peterson wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I have created sandbox in newscipy and adapted scipy setup.py file
> >>to new scipy.distutils. At the moment the sandbox contains only
> >>exmplpackage that is former xxx (and updated to scipy.distutils) and
> >>should serve as an example scipy package.
> >>So, currently installed scipy consists only of scipy.sandbox package.
> >
> > I just installed it and the import works,
> > but `scipy` does not seem to contain `exmplpackage_foo_bar`:
>
> It shouldn't. scipy.sandbox.exmplpackage is the name of the package. It
> doesn't get loaded into the scipy.* namespace, nor should it. It
> shouldn't be built by default, either, but that's another issue.

>From the doc-string of the package `scipy.sandbox.exmplpackage`
I thought that the *function* `exmplpackage_foo_bar`
is available as `scipy.exmplpackage_foo_bar()`:

In [3]:scipy.sandbox.exmplpackage?
Type:           module
Base Class:     <type 'module'>
String Form:    <module 'scipy.sandbox.exmplpackage' from
'/home/abaecker/NBB/SOFTWARE/scipy_new/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/sandbox/exmplpackage/__init__.pyc'>
Namespace:      Interactive
File:
/home/abaecker/NBB/SOFTWARE/scipy_new/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/sandbox/exmplpackage/__init__.py
Docstring:
    Scipy example module for developers

    This is documentation of exmplpackage.
    Provides:
      exmplpackage_foo_bar - also available in scipy name space
      foo_gun
      yyy.fun

(I just checked with  `config.add_subpackage('sandbox')` activated
and there is no function `scipy.exmplpackage_foo_bar`,
which, if I understood you correctly, should not be the case
anyway - sorry, I was just confused by the wording in the
above doc-string and assumed it should be there...)

Best,

Arnd