[SciPy-dev] `newcore` on opteron

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Fri Oct 7 02:12:22 CDT 2005

Arnd Baecker wrote:

>Hi,
>
>just for the fun of it I wanted to test the thread aspect on
>our dual opteron, but don't get very far in the installation:

Thank you for these results.

I'm not sure what is going on.  Are you sure your not picking up headers
from somewhere else as well?

I would be interested for example to see the file:

scipy/base/src/__ufunc_api.h

This file is autogenerated, and it could be that something is wrong there.

Most likely it is a problem with the header.  See below...

>compiling C sources
>gcc options: '-pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall
>-Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC'
>compile options: '-Ibuild/src/scipy/base/src -Iscipy/base/include
>-Ibuild/src/scipy/base -Iscipy/base/src -I/scr/python/include/python2.4
>-c'
>gcc: build/src/scipy/base/src/umathmodule.c
>In file included from build/src/scipy/base/src/umathmodule.c:7477:
>scipy/base/src/ufuncobject.c:95: error: conflicting types for
>'PyUFunc_FF_F_As_DD_D'
>build/src/scipy/base/__ufunc_api.h:38: error: previous declaration of
>'PyUFunc_FF_F_As_DD_D' was here
>scipy/base/src/ufuncobject.c:95: error: conflicting types for
>'PyUFunc_FF_F_As_DD_D'
>build/src/scipy/base/__ufunc_api.h:38: error: previous declaration of
>'PyUFunc_FF_F_As_DD_D' was here
>scipy/base/src/ufuncobject.c:113: error: conflicting types for
>'PyUFunc_DD_D'
>
>This is with
>gcc -v
>Reading specs from
>/scr/python/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/3.4.4/specs
>Configured with: ../gcc-3.4.4/configure --prefix=/scr/python/
>--enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit
>--enable-clocale=gnu --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,objc
>Thread model: posix
>gcc version 3.4.4
>

>I don't need this at the moment (the normal scipy does work
>fine on that machine now), but if it is of any help
>for `newcore`, I will follow any advice to debug this ;-)...

It's also possible that something I did recently messed up the
ufuncobject.h header (I was playing with some threading issues ---
(non-object-array) ufuncs are supposed to release the GIL to allow other
Python threads to proceed.  I'll look into that.

>Best,
>
>Arnd
>
>P.S.: for `scipy_new`, on a different machine I also get the -lamos error
>and have to comment out
>    #config.add_subpackage('special')
>    #config.add_subpackage('optimize')
>in Lib/setup.py

Yes, I think I got this to work, because I played with some stuff in
scipy.distutils and then built around libraries previously-compiled.

Pearu is supposed to fix this very soon (I just commented out the
addition of the __OF__ +self.name  stuff in the add_library method of
Configuration class in scipy.distutils.misc_util to get it to work).

Thanks for your tests.

-Travis