[SciPy-dev] More bugs fixed

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Fri Oct 7 03:08:31 CDT 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:

>>On an unrelated note, I would like to propose that we get rid of
>>scipy.stats in scipy_core.
>
> Hmm.  I suppose we could do that.   But, it seems wrong to relegate your
> nice mtrand package to a library only.  It makes it seem much more
> vulgar and
> low-level than it is (It's a very, very nice contribution to scipy core).
>
> It's a minor issue, admitedly, but is there someway we could alias it to
> something else,
> so that scipy core only users won't have to say
>
> import scipy.lib.mtrand
>
> I'd like to have a name on the same level as fftpack, linalg, etc.
>
> Perhaps scipy.random?

Works for me. We could, in fact, just move scipy/stats/__init__.py to
scipy/random.py if we're allowing "nontrivial" .py files there. I'm
really only concerned about freeing up the scipy.stats namespace for the
real scipy.stats, not just the base random number stuff.

Incidentally, what's the plan for merging the full scipy (and
specifically scipy.linalg and scipy.fftpack) with scipy_core?

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter