[SciPy-dev] sparse matrix support status

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Oct 7 12:54:37 CDT 2005

> Travis Oliphant wrote:

>>There is a sparse matrix in SciPy now:  under Lib/sparse.  I've
>>implemented about 3 or 4 sparse matrices over the years, using various
>>libraries as back-ends.  Right now, the sparse matrix code builds on top
>>of  superlu and some home-grown caclulation tools.
>>I'd love some help with this.  So, take a look at what's there and see
>>how you can help.

Just a note on this topic: an acquaintance at CU Boulder recently tried using
scipy's Lib/sparse and ran some comparisons against pysparse
(http://pysparse.sourceforge.net).  He found the pysparse performance to be a
lot better, and ended up using that.  Pysparse uses also SuperLU, so I'm not
exactly sure what the root cause of the discrepancy may be, and he didn't
track it down further (he just switched over to using pysparse and moved on).

I simply mention this thinking that it might be worth, now that scipy is going
through a cleanup phase for the long haul, to contact the pysparse team and
offer them to merge their work into the core scipy(new).  I haven't personally
looked at both code bases, but I'd guess that a merge of the best from both
would be possible and beneficial to everyone in the long run.

Not being the one who is going to do this particular work, all I can do is
drop the info here.

Regards,