[SciPy-dev] sparse matrix support status

Jonathan Guyer guyer at nist.gov
Fri Oct 7 15:00:49 CDT 2005

On Oct 7, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:

> it does seem that
> pysparse offers extra capabilities beyond what scipy.sparse has, it
> would be
> nice (I think) to fold that into the new shiny scipy.

True enough. Dan Wheeler and I would be willing to look into this. We
presently use pysparse in FiPy because that's what we could figure out,
particularly for iterative solvers, but it'd simplify our lives
considerably if we could reduce our installation instructions to "Get
SciPy. Get FiPy."

Roman Geus has indicated to us that he's not interested in merging
pysparse into a larger suite like SciPy; he prefers individually
maintained small packages to large monolithic systems. He may have
changed his mind about that, though, and regardless, pysparse is BSD
licensed, so it's perfectly legal to use his code to improve
scipy.sparse (assuming that rigorous benchmarking determines that there
are, in fact, improvements to be made). We'll do some tests and, if a
merge is warranted, we'll run it by Roman out of courtesy.