[SciPy-dev] More bugs fixed

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sat Oct 8 22:25:25 CDT 2005

Arnd Baecker wrote:

> Question: wouldn't it be possible to use
> `scipy.linalg` both for "scipy core" and for "scipy full"?
>
> When only "scipy core" is installed,
> scipy.linalg will just contain the basic routines,
> and use lapack_lite (and possibly no dotblas etc.).
>
> When also "scipy full" is installed, scipy.linalg will
> have the full glory of all the routines provided in present scipy.
>
> Technically the question is if there is
> a way to achieve this without "scipy full" overwriting
> files from "scipy core" (thinking of .deb/.rpm/... packages).
>
> Does this sound reasonable and feasible?

Reasonable, yes. Feasible, not really, I don't think. At the moment, the
scipy_core versions are "physically" under scipy.basic. In
scipy/__init__.py, we have a block like this:

    import scipy.basic.fft as fftpack
    import scipy.basic.linalg as linalg
    import scipy.basic.random as random

So "from scipy import linalg" should work even with scipy_core. I'm not
entirely sure if this is going to continue to work in the various
situations where you can't overwrite stuff, but I'm going to wait until
the real scipy.linalg and scipy.fftpack are working to test that out.

I'm willing to entertain specific suggestions to change my mind.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter