[SciPy-dev] Is scipy_core requiring a FORTRAN compiler?

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Oct 11 17:30:01 CDT 2005

Christopher Hanley wrote:

> I have attached the build log.  Keep in mind that the F77 environment
> variable is currently pointed at an invalid FORTRAN compiler.  I was
> just surprised that the setup.py would care about any FORTRAN compiler
> for scipy_core.
>
>Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS
>  NOT AVAILABLE
>
>atlas_blas_info:
>  NOT AVAILABLE
>
>blas_info:
>  FOUND:
>    libraries = ['blas']
>    library_dirs = ['/usr/lib']
>    language = f77
>
>  FOUND:
>    libraries = ['blas']
>    library_dirs = ['/usr/lib']
>    define_macros = [('NO_ATLAS_INFO', 1)]
>    language = f77
>
>lapack_opt_info:
>atlas_threads_info:
>Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS
>scipy.distutils.system_info.atlas_threads_info
>  NOT AVAILABLE
>
>atlas_info:
>scipy.distutils.system_info.atlas_info
>  NOT AVAILABLE
>
>lapack_info:
>  FOUND:
>    libraries = ['lapack']
>    library_dirs = ['/usr/lib']
>    language = f77
>
>  FOUND:
>    libraries = ['lapack', 'blas']
>    library_dirs = ['/usr/lib']
>    define_macros = [('NO_ATLAS_INFO', 1)]
>    language = f77

I could be wrong, but I think it is the fact that blas_info and
lapack_info are returning that the language of your BLAS and LAPACK
libraries is f77 that is the issue.  Presumably, if you have
Fortran-compiled BLAS and LAPACK libraries, then the f77 linker will be
called to link them to _dotblas.c

So, I'm not sure this is a problem (except with Chris's environment
variables).  Is there anything we can do to make this easier for the user??

-Travis