[SciPy-dev] Introductions, sparse matrix support

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 12 14:21:22 CDT 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> We are trying to advertise more that scipy is really just a namespace.
> Packages do not have to depend on each other, but inevitably some will.
> In the (near) future it should be easier for developers to simply have
> their package be compatible with SciPy.   If they want to make it part
> of the SciPy tree, then great.  Or, they can still manage it separately
> but make it easily installable with the rest of scipy (and easily
> buildable by people who want to distribute a large install of many
> packages).
>
> Any package that used to depend on Numeric will find it much easier to
> integrate with scipy once they convert to scipy core.

Indeed. Except for signal, there are actually very few
interdependencies. Here is my dependency analysis so far:

cluster:
    scipy_core
    scipy_stats
    # scipy_stats is only needed for std() and cov()

fftpack:
    scipy_core

integrate:
    scipy_core
    scipy_special

interpolate:
    scipy_core

io:
    scipy_core

lib:
   scipy_core

linalg:
    scipy_core
    scipy_lib
    # scipy_utils for limits

optimize:
    scipy_core
    # scipy_utils for limits

signal:
    scipy_core
    scipy_special
    scipy_interpolate
    scipy_integrate
    scipy_optimize

sparse:
    scipy_core

special:
    scipy_core

stats:
    scipy_core
    scipy_optimize

utils:
    scipy_core
    scipy_special

I have more opinions on this, scipy package organization, and What
Belongs In Scipy, but I think I've used up my opinion budget for the week.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter