[SciPy-dev] Package organization

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Oct 13 12:28:53 CDT 2005

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Fernando Perez wrote:

>>This would then give us the following structure:
>>
>>1.  Scipy_core: the new Numeric/numarray package, which includes basic FFT,

>>2.  Scipy 'full': depends on (1), and exposes all the other scipy names:

> This is pretty much the current structure of newcore and newscipy, even of
> old scipy and scipy_core.

Yes, I know.  I should have said so, I just wanted it to be explicit for the
sake of completeness.  The only minor difference is that I was considering the
possibility of moving some of today's 'full scipy' into toolkits, but that
would be a decision for later.

> Ok, that's a new bit, though it remainds me the scipy.sandbox package in
> newscipy. May be it's a matter of naming convention.

Well, in my eye sandbox carries a connotation of 'experimental, staging area'.
  That's not what I think of the toolkits as.  I see those as standalone,
fully released packages which build upon scipy's core functionality for
specialized tasks.  I think the sandbox can remain there, but it serves a
different purpose than the toolkits, at least in my mind.

Cheers,