[SciPy-dev] newcore build problem on Ubuntu / Debian

Ed Schofield schofield at ftw.at
Mon Oct 17 07:10:23 CDT 2005

Hi all,

SciPy core fails to find ATLAS or LAPACK libraries with Ubuntu's (and
Debian's?) default installation.

The reason is that the Ubuntu lapack3 and atlas3 packages contain files
named liblapack.so.3.0, with a symlink as liblapack.so.3, but no symlink
as liblapack.so.  Ditto for libatlas.so.3.

Should this be filed as a bug against the Ubuntu packages?

Whether or not it should, I think Scipy's distutils should look for
libwhatever.so.? if it can't find libwhatever.so.  This would improve
its robustness against such packaging schemes and make life easier for
users.

By the way, the current newcore doesn't seem to have any parallel to
SciPy 0.3.2's file ./scipy_core/scipy_distutils/sample_site.cfg.  I
think it should, to give users confidence that the syntax they're using
to specify their libraries is correct.  We also need some documentation
updates in newcore/scipy/distutils/system_info.py to refer to
scipy/distutils/site.cfg rather than scipy_distutils/site.cfg.  (I can
do this once I have write access.)

-- Ed