[SciPy-dev] missing Lib/__init__.py in newscipy?

Darren Dale dd55 at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 18 15:19:10 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 18 October 2005 2:53 pm, Pearu Peterson wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Darren Dale wrote:
> > When I tried to test newscipy from svn, I got a segfault:
> >
> > from scipy import *
> > Importing io to scipy
> > Importing special to scipy
> > Segmentation fault
> >
> > which I think is caused by an absent Lib/__init__.py file.
>
> Hmm, the absence of a file should not cause a segfault.
>
> > Lib/old__init__.py does exist, which I renamed.
>
> There should be no Lib/__init__.py, the installed scipy/__init__.py file
> comes from newcore.
>
> If you see `Importing io to scipy` then it means you must have
> already installed newcore with __init__.py. Try updating both newcore and
> newscipy from ñSVN, remove old installation of scipy, reinstall newcore
> and newscipy.

Hi Pearu,

I must be doing something wrong here. I deleted my old scipy and Numeric
directories from site-packages, then I checked out from svn:

svn co http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy_core/branches/newcore/
svn co http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/branches/newscipy/

Then I copied site.cfg to newcore/scipy/distutils, built and installed
newcore. At this point, I run test(1,0) and get the three errors related to
signbit which I reported earlier. Next I built and installed newscipy, and
when I try to import scipy:

In [1]: from scipy import *
Importing io to scipy
Importing special to scipy