[SciPy-dev] scipy_core Solaris Build: Good and Bad News

Christopher Hanley chanley at stsci.edu
Fri Oct 21 16:09:25 CDT 2005

> Can you run the code under gdb (or another debugger) to determine
> exactly where the bus error is occurring?

Well, GDB core dumps with the Python we have installed on Solaris.
Using DBX this is the most useful error message I have been able to get
out so far:

 >>> scipy.test()
   Found 2 tests for scipy.base.umath
   Found 23 tests for scipy.base.function_base
   Found 3 tests for scipy.base.getlimits
   Found 9 tests for scipy.base.twodim_base
   Found 3 tests for scipy.base.matrix
   Found 44 tests for scipy.base.shape_base
   Found 42 tests for scipy.base.type_check
   Found 3 tests for scipy.basic.helper
   Found 4 tests for scipy.base.index_tricks
   Found 0 tests for __main__
.......................signal BUS (invalid address alignment) in
ufunc_frompyfunc at 0xfeb56674
0xfeb56674: ufunc_frompyfunc+0x01bc:    st      %l6, [%i5 + 0x4]

I realize that this probably isn't particularly helpful.  Todd has
suggested I build my own private copy of Python with  --with-pydebug so
that I can better step through the code.

Chris

--
Christopher Hanley
Systems Software Engineer