[SciPy-dev] TypeError: __array_data__ must return a string providing the pointer to data

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Fri Oct 21 16:44:29 CDT 2005

Stephen Walton wrote:

>Travis Oliphant wrote:
>

>>You still need the very latest CVS ... The array interface protocol had
>>to change to support discontiguous arrays (and read-only) arrays.  These
>>changes are only in the latest CVS versions of numarray and Numeric.
>>

>Sigh.  Unfortunately on the two Linux releases I'm using (Ubuntu and
>Fedora Core 4), pygtk2 contains a dependency on Numeric and therefore
>you're more-or-less forced to install the distros' version, currently at
>23.8.  I know that's not up to you to fix, Travis!  But, hypothetically,
>you're telling me that if I did forcibly install Numeric and numarray
>from current CVS, that they would play nice with the new scipy core and
>with matplotlib?

You can always upgrade the Numeric version after installation.  This
should not cause problems with pygtk2.

You need at least Numeric 24.0 for array interfaces to work at all.   So
Numeric 23.8 won't work at all.

The recent SVN of scipy core should handle __array_data__ returning a
buffer object as well (which was the previous behavior).

-Travis