[SciPy-dev] random module not working on opteron

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Mon Oct 24 02:28:14 CDT 2005

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, Robert Kern wrote:

> I think the issue is that the state is an array of 624 unsigned longs.
> rk_seed() essentially just does 32-bit arithmetic and so fills those
> longs with numbers up to 2**32-1. rk_randomseed(), however, takes raw
> bits from /dev/urandom and drops them into the array. I believe that the
> algorithm is expecting 32-bit integers.
>
> I've applied a mask to the state after it gets seeded by /dev/urandom.
> Please checkout the latest version of randomkit.c from SVN and give it a
> try. We may need to make this more robust later, but for now it might work.

I went straight to a full build (because that is done automatically
via a script ;-):

It looks good - scipy.test(10,10) runs through on the opteron
the first time after quite a while!

Ran 569 tests in 31.891s

FAILED (failures=14, errors=30)
Out[3]: <unittest.TextTestRunner object at 0x2aaab5cfbad0>

Thanx to the master detectives!

Best, Arnd

P.S.: do you want to see the results of scipy.test(10,10)
or is the number of failures and errors the same
you get on other platforms?