[SciPy-dev] [matplotlib-devel] new scipy and numerix

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Fri Oct 28 13:49:20 CDT 2005

Darren Dale wrote:

>I was wondering, has anyone looked into extending numerix to handle the new
>scipy? All scipy tests now pass on my 32bit system, but there is some
>incompatibility between new scipy and mpl. For example:
>
>from pylab import *
>from scipy import *
>plot(linspace(-1,1,100))
>show()

Which version of Numeric do you have?   Currently you need Numeric 24.0
to use matplotlib with scipy.    Numeric 24.0 uses the array interface
to convert scipy arrays.  If you do have the latest version.  What
problems are you seeing?

I think the array interface is a better way to go then the numerix
approach.  John Hunter has indicated that he will eventually move to
requiring newcore for matplotlib.  I would rather push that direction,
then have a messy 3-way numerix maintenance.

-Travis