[SciPy-dev] Is "bool" the right name?

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Mon Oct 31 11:24:38 CST 2005

Todd Miller wrote:

>Trying to add some newcore compatibility to numarray,  I bowled through
>the obvious name collision between the new numarray "bool" and the
>Python scalar type "bool."   The name collision is easy enough to work
>around in the numarray internals,  but it occurred to me that "bool8"
>might be a better name since it is more explicit, consistent with the
>other type names,  and clearly resolves the recurring question "Is this
>a 1-bit bool or not?".
>
>So,  while newcore is still young,  does it make sense to rename "bool"
>to "bool8"?

Actually, I renamed everything that was conflicting with standard Python
types with an appended underscore.

When used as a data type, the standard Python scalars actually work to
identify what is desired as well.

So dtype=bool_ and dtype=bool produce the same result, but of  course

bool_(...) produces an array of bools
and
bool() produces a single Python bool

-Travis