[SciPy-dev] scipy.base (Numeric3) now on scipy.org svn server

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Sep 14 16:31:55 CDT 2005

Pearu Peterson wrote:

>> We need to bring over basic linear algebra, statistics, and fft's
>> from Numeric.  So where do we put them and how do they import?
>

> I have done some work in this direction but have not commited to
> repository yet because it needs more testing. Basically, (not
> commited) scipy.distutils has support to build Fortran or f2c'd
> versions of various libraries (currently I have tested it on blas)
> depending on whether Fortran compiler is available or not.

Ahh... :-)   This is a very, very good idea.  But, it might take some
ironing out.  I think a copy of what is currently in Numeric is a good
starting point.

> That would simplify many things, so I'd also say yes. On the other
> hand, I have not decided what to do with f2py2e CVS repository.
> Suggestions are welcome (though I understand that this might be my
> personal problem).

Do you need the history of the CVS repository?  If so, Joe has worked
out cvs2svn issues and may be able to help you convert over.  Or, you
could just import the latest copy into newcore/f2py and go from there.

> Since lapack_lite, fftpack_lite can be copied from Numeric then
> there's no rush for me to commit my scipy.distutils work, I guess.
> I'll do that when it is more or less stable and then we can gradually
> apply f2c to various scipy modules that currently have fortran sources
> which would allow compiling the whole scipy without having fortran
> compiler around.

I like the vision you've put forward.   In the meantime, it would be
good to have something that installs well.  I'd really, really like to
get a new download available by the scipy conference.  So, if
scipy.distutils is not ready for that, then, I'm going to move ahead
with the more mundane approach I've outlined...

I could use help on configuration to use blas for the new system when
appropriate... Numeric has a manual system that isn't too bad, but I'm
wondering if with scipy.disutils we can automate it somewhat...

-Travis