[SciPy-dev] Scipy vs. Fedora Core 4

Ravikiran Rajagopal ravi at ati.com
Thu Sep 15 15:06:00 CDT 2005

> Fair enough, but the difficulty is that with the present patches
> gfortran is used in preference to g77 if both are present, and gfortran
> as I noted has a sufficiently serious bug that it cannot compile Scipy
> correctly at the present time.

Good point. In that case, I propose that gfortran be tried iff an environment
variable SCIPY_USE_GFORTRAN is present. I do not want to try it only after
not finding g77. The reason is that anyone who has gfortran installed will
almost certainly have g77 installed as well (simply as a backup given the
current state of gfortran).

In regards to the d1mach.f problem, I have a solution that I have been using
successfully. I replaced d1mach.f, r1mach.f and i1mach.f with much cleaner C
implementations; the example C implementation in i1mach.f needs to be
modified to unistd.h. I am attaching them. Could someone make sure that this
works on windows as well?

Regards,
Ravi