[SciPy-dev] Scipy vs. Fedora Core 4

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Thu Sep 15 16:51:47 CDT 2005

Ravikiran Rajagopal wrote:

>In that case, I propose that gfortran be tried iff an environment
>variable SCIPY_USE_GFORTRAN is present. I do not want to try it only after
>not finding g77. The reason is that anyone who has gfortran installed will
>almost certainly have g77 installed as well (simply as a backup given the
>current state of gfortran).

 We're trying to simplify installation, not make it more complicated.
I'd rather Scipy compiled properly on the default platform.

Anyway, I just finished another test.  I compiled LAPACK, ATLAS, and
Scipy with g77 on FC4.  I built Scipy with the current Subversion
checkout, without your patches, so it will use g77 and gcc.  However,
gcc on this platform is gcc4, which doesn't see libg2c.  I created
symbolic links to fix this:

ln -s /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.3/libg2c.a
/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.0.1/libg2c.a
ln -s /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.3/libg2c.so
/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.0.1/libg2c.so

Scipy compiled and linked, but now we're back to the situation where
scipy.test(level=1,verbosity=10) shows that it hangs nearly forever in
scipy.special.basic.test_basic.test_assoc_laguerre.

>In regards to the d1mach.f problem, I have a solution that I have been using
>successfully. I replaced d1mach.f, r1mach.f and i1mach.f with much cleaner C
>implementations;

I'm not sure the C versions are correct.  For example, i1mach(1) returns
0, and i1mach(2) returns 1, which are the C conventions for stdin and
stdout.  Most Fortran compilers use 5 and 6, respectively.  I'd rather
stick with the Fortran versions, myself, as they are the Netlib standards.

I'm afraid I've spent rather enough time on all this, as I have other
work to get done, and since unlike Ravi I don't require Python 2.4 for
anything I'm doing, I'm going to back out FC4 on my system and install FC3.

Steve