[SciPy-dev] sparse matrix support status

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Fri Sep 30 11:34:21 CDT 2005

Robert Cimrman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know what is the status of the sparse matrix support
> in SciPy. Searching the scipy- mailing lists did not reveal anything
> recent. Is there some code to work on? I would like to help - though I
> am a newbie to the Scipy world, I do have experience with sparse
> matrices.
>
> If there is nothing yet, a quick possibility would be to wrap a
> library like sparskit2 and give it a pythonic feel. What are your
> opinions?

There is a sparse matrix in SciPy now:  under Lib/sparse.  I've
implemented about 3 or 4 sparse matrices over the years, using various
libraries as back-ends.  Right now, the sparse matrix code builds on top
of  superlu and some home-grown caclulation tools.

I'd love some help with this.  So, take a look at what's there and see
how you can help.

-Travis