[SciPy-dev] interp1d, bounds_error & fill_value

Jonathan Taylor jonathan.taylor at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 5 16:19:00 CDT 2006

just a note to mention that it seems that the docstring on interp1d is
not quite correct:

it states that NaN is returned if bounds_error=0. this is not quite
true, as you can set fill_value (not mentioned in docstring but evident
in code). if x and y are both int arrays, it does not seem to return NaN...

 >>> import scipy.interpolate
 >>> import numpy as N
 >>>
 >>> x=N.arange(20)
 >>> f=scipy.interpolate.interp1d(x,x,bounds_error=0, fill_value=0.)
 >>> print f(30)
[0]

 >>> g=scipy.interpolate.interp1d(x,x,bounds_error=0)
 >>> print g(30), N.isnan(g(30))
[-2147483648] [False]

 >>> X=N.arange(0,20.)
 >>> h=scipy.interpolate.interp1d(X,X,bounds_error=0)
 >>> print h(30)
[        nan]

 >>> X=N.arange(0,20.)
 >>> i=scipy.interpolate.interp1d(X,x,bounds_error=0)
 >>> print i(30)
[        nan]

 >>> X=N.arange(0,20.)
 >>> j=scipy.interpolate.interp1d(x,X,bounds_error=0)
 >>> print j(30)
[        nan]

I'm part of the Team in Training: please support our efforts for the
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society!

http://www.active.com/donate/tntsvmb/tntsvmbJTaylor

GO TEAM !!!

Jonathan Taylor                           Tel:   650.723.9230
Dept. of Statistics                       Fax:   650.725.8977
Sequoia Hall, 137                         www-stat.stanford.edu/~jtaylo
390 Serra Mall
Stanford, CA 94305