[SciPy-dev] distutils, mtrand, Monte Carlo

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 10:30:30 CDT 2006

Ed Schofield wrote:

> I've been playing around with it some more, and it actually seems that
> config.add_extension already supports building and installing shared
> libraries.  Normally this is used for building Python extension modules,
> but the symbol table seems to be independent of Python unless the source
> files explicitly use Python symbols.  So, unless I'm very mistaken, this
> works already -- by using the machinery of add_extension rather than
> add_library.

The platform differences between how shared libraries are looked up will prevent
this from working as an actual distribution mechanism, although you've mostly
figured out how to build them. This has been discussed *extensively* on the
distutils-sig. It's not going to be practical. At the very least, it's going to
make building numpy and scipy more fragile and complicated.

The easiest option for you now is to simply copy randomkit.[ch] to montecarlo.
It won't be changing any time soon. That should tide you over until I manage to
export a function pointer table from mtrand.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

 an underlying truth."