[SciPy-dev] interest in Time series functionality?

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Mon Apr 24 15:03:40 CDT 2006

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006, Matt Knox apparently wrote:
> Our group consists mostly of financial practitioners and
> engineers, not really pure software developers, so if
> somebody is interested in taking this to the next level
> I would be willing to release the code (both the FAME api,
> and the time series module) if someone wanted to improve
> upon this and share their improvements in the future. The
> code is definitely not a polished product right now, but
> it is functional.

> If you have any thoughts on this (positive or negative)
> I would love to hear them.

I was hoping someone else would respond first, but since
they have not, I will provide a smidgen of feedback.

I hope you will release the code in advance of the
reassurances you seek.  It sounds useful, and it sounds
likely to attract development effort over time.  I am
interested in looking at it, if it is released under
a liberal license, but I am more a user than a developer.
Still, Python is great in that for many applications users
can readily contribute to development.  The time series
module seems to be an obvious candidate for such
contributions.

The real question, I propose, is where to house the code and
how to manage patches.  As for the former, it seems to be an
obvious candidate for the scipy sandbox.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac