[SciPy-dev] Scipy ga module on Windows

Duane Kaufman dkaufman at imago.com
Tue Apr 25 09:14:21 CDT 2006

Hi,

> Duane Kaufman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am looking to utilize a genetic algorithm  for a project I am
> > working on.
> >
> > I noticed Scipy had this advertised as included, but cannot
> find it (I
> > downloaded the latest for Python 2.4)
> >
> > Is this module not available?
>
> It has been moved to the sandbox because it has not been
> completely ported to use numpy, yet. You will have to build
> scipy from source and uncomment the appropriate line in
> Lib/sandbox/setup.py to have it install as part of the scipy
> package. However, it is pure Python, so you can just copy it
> from the source distribution to the appropriate location, too.

Um, can I grab the 'ga' folder contents from the sandbox? What do I need
to use these then? When I try this I get:

>>> import scipy.ga
Overwriting info=<function info at 0x032D7AB0> from scipy.misc.helpmod
(was <function info at 0x0327EBF0> from scipy.utils.helpmod)
Overwriting factorial=<function factorial at 0x032D7630> from
scipy.misc.common (was <function factorial at 0x0321C1B0> from
scipy.utils.common)
Overwriting factorial2=<function factorial2 at 0x032D7670> from
scipy.misc.common (was <function factorial2 at 0x0321C170> from
scipy.utils.common)
Overwriting factorialk=<function factorialk at 0x032D76B0> from
scipy.misc.common (was <function factorialk at 0x032352F0> from
scipy.utils.common)
Overwriting comb=<function comb at 0x032D76F0> from scipy.misc.common
(was <function comb at 0x0322E170> from scipy.utils.common)
Overwriting who=<function who at 0x032D7830> from scipy.misc.common (was
<function who at 0x0327E170> from scipy.utils.common)
Overwriting lena=<function lena at 0x032D77F0> from scipy.misc.common
(was <function lena at 0x0327E130> from scipy.utils.common)
Overwriting central_diff_weights=<function central_diff_weights at
0x032D7730> from scipy.misc.common (was <function central_diff_weights
at 0x0322E0B0> from scipy.utils.common)
Overwriting derivative=<function derivative at 0x032D7770> from
scipy.misc.common (was <function derivative at 0x0327E0B0> from
scipy.utils.common)
Overwriting pade=<function pade at 0x032D77B0> from scipy.misc.common
(was <function pade at 0x0327E0F0> from scipy.utils.common)
C:\Python24\lib\whrandom.py:38: DeprecationWarning: the whrandom module
is deprecated; please use the random module
  DeprecationWarning)
  File "<console>", line 1, in ?
  File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\scipy\ga\__init__.py", line 5, in
?
    import gene
  File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\scipy\ga\gene.py", line 302, in ?
    from scipy_base.fastumath import *
''' exceptions.ImportError : No module named scipy_base.fastumath '''

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Duane