[SciPy-dev] "fancy index" assignment

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Fri Dec 1 17:25:15 CST 2006

Johannes Loehnert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with fancy assignment. Even though left and right side
> of the assignment have the same shape, an exception occurs. numpy is freshly
> built 10 minutes ago.

This is a bug in NumPy.     I've tracked it down and am trying to come
up with a fix.

Basically, I need to figure out the transpose tuple to use to invert a
permutation that I'm using.

If I do.

b = a.transpose(perm)
c = b.transpose(what)

so that c and a have the same shape.   I have a general formula for perm
but I'm not quite sure how to translate that into a general formula for
what.   I may have to just calculate the inverse permutation in the code.

-Travis.