[SciPy-dev] Fwd: [sage-devel] numpy in SAGE, etc.

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 12:24:28 CST 2006

On 12/14/06, Darren Dale <dd55 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 December 2006 12:20, David Huard wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I followed this thread with much interest and I wouldn't like it to die
> > without some kind of concensus being reached for the Scipy documention
> > system. Am I correct to say that Epydoc + REST/Latex seems the way to go
> ?
> >
> > If this is the case, what's next ? I'm not familiar with any of this,
> but
> > I'd be great if someone knowledgeable could define a roadmap and create
> > couple of tickets so that people like me could contribute small steps.
>
> I have also been very interested in this discussion. Once the issue is
> settled, would someone please write a wiki page outlining the preferred
> format for scipy/numpy documentation, along with a short explanation of
> how
> to do the markup?

Numpy contains a good deal of C code that needs documentation, will Epydoc
do the job? It might make sense to use different systems for the python and
C code, say Epydoc for the former and doxygen for the latter.  Also, the
docstrings for the python visible functions in numpy are separated from the
code and probably need to be parsed. Some code that writes phony functions
with the appropriate comments might do the trick, although some provision
would probably be needed to pull out the function signature.

Chuck