[SciPy-dev] Period table?

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Sun Dec 17 01:08:47 CST 2006

CakeProphet wrote:
> I think it would be fairly useful if scipy contained a module with the entire
> period table as a Python data type of some sort with various information (atomic
> number, mass, etc) of all the elements.

I've thought about that for years, never taking the time to make it happen.
The trick is not just to list the elements in a Python dictionary, with
physical attributes, but to provide various filter and search operations --
list all metals, nobel elements, given a weight range return the matching set
of elements, handle isotope mapping back to their base elements, etc.
Designed and documented well, it would be a neat component.

-Jeff