[SciPy-dev] an atttempt at sandbox/xplt

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 09:46:04 CST 2006

Nils Wagner wrote:

> Do you have no reason for moving xplt into scipy/Lib/ ?
> You have mentioned the speed edge of xplt against matplotlib.
> This gives reason to have it directly available in scipy (at least for me).

I'm sure there are reasons to want to move xplt back into scipy/Lib/. However, I
think there are better reasons for keeping it out. xplot is X-only. It is not
cross-platform. xplt can never be *the* plotting package, and if it is  in
scipy/Lib/, people will think it is. In the past, people have made scipy a
dependency for their projects "only for the plotting".

xplt was never intended to languish in the sandbox for this long. People
volunteered to take over its development elsewhere as its own package. If you
want xplt to be a living project, register the project on Sourceforge (or
Berlios, or wherever) and move the code over.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter