[SciPy-dev] integration of Unum in scipy

DE MENTEN Sebastien sebastien.dementen at alumni.insead.edu
Tue Feb 21 10:42:33 CST 2006

> Somewhat. Personally, I have Issues with all existing unit packages
mostly
> summarized by how they handle (or don't handle) temperatures. We've
> discussed
> this before. Start here:
>
>   http://www.scipy.net/pipermail/scipy-user/2005-March/004263.html

I share your view expressed in
http://www.scipy.net/pipermail/scipy-user/2005-March/004266.html
(absolute temperature translation is not a unit conversion). However,
after looking at the implementation in enthought.units, I have two
questions:
 1) Is the dependence on the rest of enthough framework (e.g. traits)
easily replaced/removed?
 2) Am I right in saying that the system is tight to the SI? Are the 7
physical unit dimensions hardcoded? Is it possible to add exotic system
of units (e.g. currencies)?

Unum provides an engine that enables the creation of units (m,kg,...) as
well as unum objects (3 m/s, [3,6,7] kg,...). In this regard, it looks
more generic than enthought.units.

Finally, do you have feedback on people using this module in enthought?

Best,

Seb