[SciPy-dev] Renaming scipy_core ???

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Sun Jan 1 09:26:37 CST 2006

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> Fernando brings up an interesting point that might be worth some
> discussion.  It's might be too late to have this discussion, but with a
> more stable release coming up, it might not be.
>
> Here is what he says:
>
> > My main point is this: I worry a little that using 'scipy' as a single
> > name
> > for both scipy_core and scipy_full is causing more problems than it
> > solves,
> > and may be an unnecessary long-term headache.  There is the issue of
> > confusion
> > of installation amongst newbies, as well as technical problems with
> > packaging
> > because of file collisions, package manager issues, etc.

Interesting - thanks for bringing this up.

When talking about scipy recently, I always felt
the need to be very precise, whether
the issue is related to "scipy *core*"
or "*full* scipy"  (and in addition to distinguish
from "*old* scipy"); I was about to voice my
concerns a couple, but swamped by all the other stuff...

> > I wonder if we wouldn't be better off with the scipy_core package
> > being named
> > something else altogether, let's say 'ndarray' (or whatever: I suck at
> > coming
> > up with good names).

Are there any other options?
For example (not meant to be complete):

- num
- numpy
- numeric
- numsci
- numcore
- numarr
- numlib
- arrcore
- arrlib
- ndarray
- Array
- sciarray
- scicore
- numcore

Personally, I am not sure if we really need
"core" in the name. The shorter the better.
In view of the new chararrays,
`num` or `sci` might be already too specific,
so would `Array` be a good option?

In addition, maybe one could even think of
replacing "scipy" (for `full scipy`)
by `scikits` (or some other name).
This would mean that Numeric, numarray, scipy (old),
`scipy core`, `scipy new` could exist in parallel
in site-packages.

This could make the transition to the new scipy easier.

Best, Arnd