[SciPy-dev] Renaming scipy_core ???

Fonnesbeck, Chris Chris.Fonnesbeck at MyFWC.com
Sun Jan 1 11:48:04 CST 2006

On 1/1/06 10:26 AM, "Arnd Baecker" <arnd.baecker at web.de> wrote:

>>> I wonder if we wouldn't be better off with the scipy_core package
>>> being named
>>> something else altogether, let's say 'ndarray' (or whatever: I suck at
>>> coming
>>> up with good names).
>

> Are there any other options?
> For example (not meant to be complete):
>
> - num
> - numpy
> - numeric
> - numsci
> - numcore
> - numarr
> - numlib
> - arrcore
> - arrlib
> - ndarray
> - Array
> - sciarray
> - scicore
> - numcore

I like numpy, which was the informal name for Numeric. I agree that there is
little merit in keeping "core" in the name.

Alternatively, what about using "scipy" for scipy_core, and "scipy_ext" or
"scipy_plus" for the full package?

C.

--
Christopher J. Fonnesbeck

Population Ecologist, Marine Mammal Section
Fish & Wildlife Research Institute (FWC)
St. Petersburg, FL

Adjunct Assistant Professor
Warnell School of Forest Resources
University of Georgia