[SciPy-dev] Renaming scipy_core ???

Joe Harrington jh at oobleck.astro.cornell.edu
Sun Jan 1 12:17:41 CST 2006

+1 (because I'm not allowed to do +10!) on renaming.

This will be a *lot* simpler for newbies, and for the doc and web-page
and support email writers who are trying to help them.  And the other
reasons.  I like keeping "sci" as the common prefix, so scicore or
sciarray are both nice.  If we do ultimately (I'm thinking 5 years)
want to get scicore into the mainstream Python, in addition to
ndarray, using the native distutils might be a plus.  Otherwise, could
such a move make trouble for the author of an add-on who didn't want
to depend on full scipy but who wanted scipy.distutils?  (And if not,
then why do we have it at all?)  Is that scenario more likely than an
author wanting just one other package in full scipy (thus meriting
special treatment for scipy.distutils)?

--jh--