[SciPy-dev] Renaming scipy_core ???

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Sun Jan 1 16:57:43 CST 2006

Thanks for the comments.  I think we should go ahead with the renaming.
Yes, it will be a pain for a bit.  But, I agree that long term it's a
good idea.  I don't want to explain the difference between full scipy
and scipy_core anymore either...

I don't think scipy should change its name.  The (full) scipy package
will still be called scipy.

Now, options are open for naming.  I've liked many of the suggestions so
far.  Here are my votes.  The parenthesized names are other possibilities.

sci (arrlab, scicore)/
   __init__.py

   ->numpy (ndarray, narray)/
     __init__.py

   ->f2py/

   ->distutils/

   ->weave/  ** see comments **

   ->linalg/

   ->fft/

   ->random/

**Comment:  I'm thinking about moving weave over to full scipy.  I recognize it's utility, but with pyrex gaining popularity and the fact that weave is not maintained actively by anyone, it concerns me to keep it in the basic package.  I know we talked about this before, but it's the only sub-package I still feel timid around.  Is someone willing to step up and keep weave up-to-date?

I think we can do this soon.  Could we move all of the package loading stuff over to scipy and keep sci a relatively simple package?

The name changes are the worst, but I'm willing to do them (in matplotlib CVS as well).  It's time to speak up about names ore forever hold your peace :-)

-Travis