[SciPy-dev] [ANN] The Enthought Tool Suite
prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Sun Jan 1 23:55:25 CST 2006
This is to announce the *existence* of the Enthought Tool Suite (ETS).
ETS is a collection of several useful components that together provide
a powerful application framework with special emphasis on scientific
and engineering applications. There are a large number of components,
some stable and some under heavy development. These include:
* Traits: (general purpose: stable)
- Traits allow one to define special Python object attributes that
elegantly support initialization, validation, delegation,
notification and visualization (i.e. automatic generation of user
* Endo: (general purpose: stable)
- Endo is a Traits aware API documentation tool.
* PyFace: (user interface: stable)
- PyFace is a collection of Traits-based MVC components for wxPython.
* Envisage: (general purpose: UNSTABLE)
- Envisage is an extensible Traits-based application framework.
It offers a plug-in based architecture similar to the Java Eclipse
framework. While most of the existing plug-ins are stable, the overall
package itself, and the UI plug-in in particular, are still under heavy
* Kiva: (graphics: stable)
- Kiva is a multi-platform Display PDF 2D drawing engine that
supports multiple output backends, including wxWidgets on Windows,
GTK, and Carbon, a variety of raster image formats, PDF, and
* Chaco: (plotting: being re-factored)
- Chaco is a Python toolkit for producing interactive plotting
applications. Chaco applications can range from simple line
plotting scripts up to GUI applications for interactively
exploring different aspects of interrelated data. Chaco
leverages other Enthought technologies such as Kiva, Enable, and
Traits to produce highly interactive plots of publication
* TVTK: (graphics: stable)
- TVTK is a Pythonic VTK wrapper for visualization, graphics and
imaging in 2D/3D. It transparently supports Traits and
* MayaVi2: (scientific/engineering: semi-stable, unfinished)
- MayaVi2 is an Envisage plug-in for 2D/3D scientific data
visualization. It is the next generation of the MayaVi
scientific data visualizer.
These tools together form the Enthought Tool Suite (ETS). ETS has
been under heavy development for the last year or two. While some of
the tools are still under heavy development, many of them like Traits,
PyFace, Kiva, TVTK and others are stable enough for general use.
Enthought's enhanced Python distribution (Enthon) and installers for
several of the stable ETS components mentioned above are available
The source code is released under a BSD-like license. Up-to-date
installers for the ETS are on their way and will be announced when
Those who are interested in the components that are still under
development should check out the SVN repository (a fresh working copy
is likely to occupy about 250MB).
Trac interface (Wiki, code, issue tracker):
ETS is developed and funded by Enthought, Inc., Austin, TX.
Enjoy using the Enthought Tool Suite!
The Enthought Tool Suite Team
More information about the Scipy-dev