[SciPy-dev] Renaming scipy_core ???

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Mon Jan 2 05:18:56 CST 2006

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Darren  Dale wrote:

[ John's suggestion]
> > I've been happy with the name "numerix" in matplotlib.  It is intended
> > to connote "Numeric" in plural, eg numeric, numarray and (now) scipy
> > core.  Also, the import abbrev
> >
> >   import numerix as nx
>
> I like this idea a lot

+1

Still, let me *try* to keep an (presumably incomplete)
overview about the suggestions:

* "scipy core"

  - scicore (containing ndarray,
             which could go into normal python - FP)
  - numerix

  - Array
  - ap
  - arrcore
  - arrayutils
  - arrlab
  - arrlib
  - arrproc
  - darray
  - narray
  - ndarray
  - nm
  - num
  - numarr
  - numeric
  - numcore
  - numpy
  - numsci
  - numlib
  - nx
  - sci
  - sciarray

  I also like the following ones, but ...
  - tao  or tAo ?
  - scivoo      (especially for Prabhu ;-)

  General remarks:
  - IMHO: no core in the name of the package
  - no matrix (or vec either) in the name of the package
    (it is about *arrays* )
  - no py in the name of the part which does the arrays
    (Reason: if we want this to go into normal python
     at some point, there should be no "*py")

* "full scipy"

  - scipy
  - scikits

Personally, I like

 - numerix/scikits
 - numerix/scipy

(I also like `numeric`, but that might be too close to "Numeric" ...)

Best, Arnd